Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Gleanings for the Hungry

The first week of July, I went on a short missions trip with the youth group at my church. We were a small group of 6, but we had TONS of fun. We went to Dinuba,Ca(central valley) to serve at Gleanings for the Hungry. This is a YWAM ministry that packages food to send to third world countries that need it. In the summer, they make dried peaches. Days start at 6:45 am and don't end until 11 pm.
The days consist of 2 hours of work in the field laying out peaches and then 4-5 hours in the fruit plant, processing peaches. By the end of the day, you are exhausted and can't wait to get the peaches out of your hair! I loved it because I had SO much time to spend with the Lord. I got to pray for things that had been on my heart, and the Lord told me a lot about my future in missions. It was an amazing experience. My favorite day was water park day and a day when we got to pray over a truck going to Honduras.
I built some awesome relationships with the students I went with, and it was nice to get away. We stayed up late talking and getting to know each other. We got to go to a waterpark, we went bowling, and made up lots of songs about peaches. It was an awesome time! I encourage you to check it out and take your family! It is hard work, but it is so rewarding. :) Enjoy the pictures of our week.

Our crazy bunk beds
Bryan on the cup up station, making sure the peaches are all facing the right way.
The cutters--so boring :) All you have to do is turn your row of peaches right side up.
At the love feast, our group drank 8 pitchers of punch--which is now a Gleanings record! haha
Brandon, Bryan, Ed
more fun on the cutters
The final product--dried peaches
Looking for bad peaches
Our awesome team!
The field of peaches! There was about 3 times this many, but I couldn't get them all in

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow looks like lots of work.... Did you get to eat as many as you wanted????? Good work girl... Luv you, G-Ma

Katie Lady said...

You amaze me with all the fun things you find to do for the Kingdom. Glory to God... Miss, miss, miss you!!!!!!!