Since I have tomorrow off, I figure it's ok to stay up late to update the blog. :) So..the news I was talking about on the last post is that I am officially going to Nairobi, Kenya on a short term missions trip this summer! I am super excited. If you want to be praying, you can definitely be praying that God prepares my heart for everything that is going to happen over there. I totally have a heart for the AIDS epidemic and the people affected by it. Especially after reading that teachers are highly affected by it, too. It also really hurts my heart to know that it is the young people, 18-25, who are most infected by this disease. It's all really overwhelming. I can't wait to get there and be able to show the hope of Jesus Christ!
Some interesting facts:
- Kenya is one of the nine countries in Africa hardest hit by the AIDS epidemic.
- Approximately 10 percent of the adult population is infected with HIV.
- It is estimated that 2.5 million Kenyans are infected with HIV/AIDS.
- In a study conducted in 2001, it was reported that on average, 600 Kenyans die of AIDS everyday.
- The average age for life expectancy has been reduced from the 63 years to 48 years due to AIDS.
- It is reported that 18 teachers die due to AIDS every month and about 6,570 die annually.
- Seven out of every ten HIV positive Kenyans are aged between 18 and 25 years.
Approximately 1.3 million young people have lost one or both parents to AIDS.